Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Space Pirate Astartes - Red Corsairs



"Burn. Burn the ship. Burn the pathetic weaklings with it, alive."


So this is it, my next "grande" project - a true scale Adeptus Astartes. Actually I'm talking about making a bunch of them, three renegade Red Corsair Astartes to be exact. With power hooks, eye-patches and fiery red armours... Yarrr!

The idea of making a true scale Space Marine has been lurking in my mind ever since I finished the first Horus Heresy book. It was Migsula's fantastic Alpha Legionnaire that gave me the spark to start this project. I'm quite sure that my Astartes will have a lot in common with them, what comes to the shape, size and the overall feeling of them (or at least that's where I am aiming to), after all, they have inspired me a lot ever since I first ran into them.

So once again I grabbed a pencil and started sketching...

Champion of the Fleet (black ink pencil)

My main goal was to try to render the hulking embodiment of an Astartes the way I see it. The armour is very bulky, worn and scattered with trophies and ancient liturgies. The head is like a small pin, a pinnacle that over-emphasizes the magnificent frame of the Astartes. The massive fur coat rims the figure, making the warrior look like a barbarian of the far future, something that I've always thought that the Astartes fundamentally were.

With this visual reference I've started gathering the bits that I would be needing to get as close to this vision as possible. I hope that I'll soon have something relevant to show to you, as I'm more than eager to put the pieces together!

19 comments:

  1. Great idea! i have had this one in mind ever since i've heared about true-scale, too bad i haven't done\finished anything by myself.
    Hope to see some tutorials on your way about true-scaling, not to mention about all other sculpting work taht you will do.

    You can be realy inspirator of mine to actualy finish the whole idea of true-scale space marines ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate!

      I'm thinking of making some tutorial while I'm doing the project. Maybe one about the fur coat and another about the modding...

      Delete
  2. Wow. That is an awesome sketch. I've been trying to develop some blanchy/OS illustration type stuff, but this just shames me.

    a few things: the caption in the photo says black ink pencil. Is this pencil and black ink, or some kind of awesome ink pencil? I'm curious because I love the effect.

    By 'true scale,' do you mean astartes sized proportionately to 28 mm considering that they're supposed to be, like, eight feet tall? Or do you mean 'real life sized?' Cuz if you do (or even, perhaps, if you don't,) you should totally check out this: http://protagonist4hire.blogspot.com/p/project-portfolio.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mattias!

      The black ink pencil I've used is just plain normal 0.05 UV-resistant ink pencil. For larger black areas I've used thicker pencil, of course.

      I've ordered some technical pencils (Rotring) for the future proejcts.

      And no, I won't be doing REAL SCALE stuff, I'm not that crazy :D

      Delete
  3. Migsula's tru-scale Alphas are masterful. I am sure your own will prove to match his amazing offerings easily.

    Perhaps one day I'll attempt one too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your style is really inspiering. Plus you can buil it afterwards. Your bitsbox must be huuuuge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sketch, very interested to see how your marine(s) turn out. You can thank Paul Dainton for giving us the pinhead marine. Love that dude's work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic space fantasy art. Very much old school.
    The space pirate trope is ripe for plunder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exceptionally impressive artwork. True-scaled Space Marines are something I'm returning to at the moment - I'm working towards being able to create a true-scaled Deathwatch Kill-Team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to seeing your Deathwatch Kill-Team, mr. Molotov.

      Delete
  8. Thank you guys for your kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ize - Missed this. Now that is what I call a Pirate Space Marine. I cannot wait to see the left shoulder rendered into model form.

    PDH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter! I thought to drop that shoulder swarming of skulls off from my plans, but now I'm seriously reconsidering of adding it back ;)

      Delete
    2. Forge World or Dark Eldar Skulls are brilliant.

      I hope the spikes are going to be as dangerous as Night Goblin spearman and 2nd edition Gretchin ;-)

      Delete
  10. Looks to be an awesome project! While the current GW space marines are great, they simply do not capture the hulking entities they should be. I can't wait to see someone with as much talent as you work at some that are a bit more representative :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Godwyn! I'll try to avoid the representativeness, if possible ;)

      Delete