To wrap things up I need to start from this summer. I had just started my well deserved long summer leave – five weeks to be exact – and because it felt that I had lots of time in my hands, we decided to make some small renovations in our apartment. That "small" project prolonged in to three week task and took a lot of juice off me. It was a creative task all right, but physically very stressful, so I decided to take some time off from the hobby and other not so urgent stuff and just take it easy.
Few months later I felt that it was a time to get back in action. But it took me some time to reignite the engine.
When painting the Plague Marines before the off-time I noticed how hard it was to give them my fullest attention. It was fun project to do, tried some new techniques while doing it too. But something was off... I pushed that project forward and finished the whole squad, but I felt kind of left without the much needed umph afterwards! And I knew why – They weren't in true-/art-scale. I believe it's the curse of the true-scaleism; Once you've built and painted one of those, there's really no turning back, is there?
There was a spark, ignition and fire. I decided to continue one of my "side tracks", The Red Corsairs. So I dug in to my bits box and started putting pieces together, finally making a bits sketch based loosely on one of my drawings. Below is the first part of the story of the project presented in the set of WIP shot...
|Third or so bits sketch of the renegade Astartes, which I chose for my project.|
|Adding some weight and bulkiness.|
|Glueing some studs. For studs I used hair cut off from washing-up brush.|
|I decided to change the weapon arm to less "aggressive" so that he'd match up better with the pose of the Champion of the Fleet.|
|Brothers Astartes Malus|
|Primed and ready to paint!|